Are you looking to start a career in sustainable agriculture?
Do you have a passion for Farming?
Is food security your concern?
Are you concerned about how healthy the food you eat is?
Do you want to make money trading agro commodities?
Then this is for you!
Agrostory Internship Program is a great launching point for beginning farmers with little or no previous experience in Agriculture.
The Internship Program is an entry-level, immersive program that combines hands-on training and skills-based education in sustainable, reliable and profitable agriculture.
As an intern, you will live and train full-time on the farm, participating in on-the-farm training and learning in-depth skills from professionals. Interns are exposed to a vast pool of knowledge and expertise by engaging in the daily life of vibrant, agricultural communities.
HOUSING: Program participants will be provided with accommodation within the duration of their internship.
TRANSPORTATION: This will be taken care of by the intern.
WELFARE: Participants are to carter for their own welfare
ELIGIBILITY: Candidates should be aged between 18 and 35 at the start of their internship (i.e. internship should start before the candidate turns 36).
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Able to receive positive direction and constructive criticism
- Organization and time management skills
- Interest in learning agronomic practices
- Ability to work long hours if needed.
The Student Trainee is engaged in a cooperative educational hand on training program. The primary purpose of this program is to provide agricultural trainees with exposure to a variety of functions and responsibilities at the FARM location. In addition, this on-the-farm training program is designed to provide the intern with an overall understanding of a for-profit farm’s functions, policies, regulations, and procedures.
The intern will receive intense instruction in the following duties:
- Assisting with effective planting and farm maintenance activities.
- Following policies and procedures to ensure personal safety and the safety of others
- Supervising and working with temporary and casual field labourers.
- Assisting in the feeding, maintenance and care of the fish farm.
- Assisting in Staking of Plants.
- Farmer’s Market Operations from field to market.
- Transplanting of the plants in the nursery to the open field.
- Applying Manure and Fertilizers.
- Assisting in weeding.
- Assisting in Crossbreeding Fishes and feeding.
- Be open to the opportunity to heal and be a willing participant in the case studies being performed at the FARM.
The Internship is a hands-on learning experience. The vast majority of your time will be spent learning by doing. You will receive training by an agribusiness professional coach who will help to develop your skills while accomplishing day to day tasks that support your farm through the season.
At the end of each program, participants who have successfully completed all requirements will receive a certificate of completion and a certificate of excellence. Every participant will give an end-of-internship presentation and submit a short report. This can be a summary of their experience, focus on a few aspects of their internship, or be about a specific project that they undertook.
Once the internship begins at the farm, there is an initial 21-day trial period. During the trial period, interns who are not fit will be terminated. Once the trial period is successfully completed, the interns are committed to the mentor/mentee relationship for the rest of the season.
Even though we are an organic farm, outdoor working environment may have exposure to dust, animal manures and environmental allergens. The internship program is mostly active in nature and will involve walking, standing, lifting, pulling, pushing, kneeling, stooping and bending.
- Provide a full and realistic view of the work involved in a career in agriculture.
- Program integrates academic preparation with practical application and skill development in the workplace.
- Provided with opportunities in self-leadership training and entrepreneurial workshops.
- Educational opportunities in how to develop their own business, including business plan development, marketing strategies, and financing strategies.
The Internship Program begins between October 1 and October 18 and concludes typically between March 1 and March 18 with exact start and end dates to be determined by Agrostory.
APPLICATION PROCESS (HOW TO APPLY)
Click on the apply link to be sent to our application form. The application period is rolling with October 1, 2020 deadline. Apply early, as positions do fill during the application period.